Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hearts and Flowers

I have had a crazy-busy few months...besides the usual holiday madness I was interning as an editorial assistant at Food Arts magazine, helping cookbook author Judith Choate develop content for her next project (more about that later), all around attending my classes at The French Culinary Institute which moved me into the kitchen for L’Ecole and required an elaborate menu writing assignment. So, unfortunately, devoting any time to my personal projects simply slipped away...


I’m sending hearts and flowers to all my friends and family who haven’t heard from me while I’ve been buckled down and otherwise occupied.


Citrus Shortbread

Makes about 60 2-inch cut cookies
  • 16 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened  
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar  
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced  
  • 1 lime, zested and juiced  
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract  
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted; plus more for dusting while rolling the dough  
  • ¼ teaspoon salt  
  • 1 egg, beaten

  1. Preheat oven to 300° F.  
  2. Cream the butter and confectioners’ sugar in a mixer until fluffy.  
  3. Add the orange and lime zest and juice along with the vanilla, flour and salt; blend until just combined. 
  4. Divide dough into thirds, shape into flat rounds about 4 inches wide. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.  
  5. Working with one portion of dough at a time-roll the dough between two sheets of parchment lightly sprinkled with flour to ¼-inch thickness. Cut out hearts, flowers, puppies, stars, or any shape you want.
  6. Place cut cookies on parchment paper lined baking sheet about 1-inch apart. 
  7. Lightly brush the top of each cookie with the beaten egg.  
  8. Bake for 9-13 minutes in pre-heated oven, turning pan halfway through to encourage even browning.

*All ovens vary, so watch the first sheet of cookies carefully to determine the proper cooking time for your oven.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, SJA, I'm going to have to try these! I made lemon shortbread for my parents for Christmas, but it just wasn't lemony enough. I see your recipe contains both juice and zest (mine only zest), so maybe this will be the ticket. Very pretty cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are YUM.
      And yes, you're right, add the juice for a more intense flavor.
      You could also make an icing to drizzle over them with 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/2 tsp extract (whatever flavor your cookie is) and 1 Tbsp milk-stir and add more milk or sugar a tiny bit at time until you get a smooth consistency.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, an amazing new journey. I just happened on this leg of the journey. As a New Yorker by origin and incliniation I always appreciate seeing people leap intonewness in all that NYC energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny! I'm so happy you found me here.
      I miss my Etsy friends with all their love and support but I'm quickly appreciating that NYC energy for its creative inspiration.

      Delete